Monday, November 10, 2008

Menus on Monday

Last week we didn't follow the list very well. My son's grandmother brought over some pea soup and then my son was away one evening. But he did make the cashew rainbow trout and I used the heated oven to make the 'Mix in the Pan' Chocolate Cake that was quite good and too easy to make. (I mean it would be too easy to make another one soon!)

So this week's plan is as follows:
Beet and cottage cheese pasta (two meals)
Chicken noodle soup (that we didn't have last week)
Mashed potatoes and parsnip, carrot casserole (from my son's grandmother) and the Spiced Kidney Bean Burgers that I had on the list a few weeks ago and didn't get to try.
My son goes to his father's this weekend so I'm going to see what's taking up all of the space in the freezer and eat some of it.

I thought that I had used up the last of the carrots and bought a new bag, only to find that I had an unopened one in the fridge (in the wrong place). Does anyone have any good recipes to use carrots in? Please leave me a link or suggestion in the comments. Thank you!

2 comments:

Tara said...

Don't know if it is up your alley, but I recently discovered a really nice carrot spaghetti dish were the spaghetti is made from carrots! Really simple too... Not sure if your son will like it though!

Anne said...

I use carrots in everything.

In spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce instead of sugar (to cut the acidity).

Instead of using a roast rack, I use 5 or 6 large carrots and place the roast on top. They aren't pretty when it is done, but they sure taste good!

If zuchinni can go in a recipe, so can carrots! I even skip the cheese layer in lasagna (yes, we are sooooo Italian) and sautee garlic, zuchinni (shredded) and tomatoes (diced) with olive oil and parmesan or peccorino cheese for a layer. Carrots (shredded) would work great in there.

Then there is carrot cake. Not that it is sweet enough to really qualify for cake, but I love the cream cheese frosting and it uses lots of carrots.

What about Minestroni soup? That uses carrots.

Cream of carrot soup is divine.

You can boil carrots in broth then freeze for MONTHS. They are great in pot pie or as a side dish.

I could keep going, but I will give you a minute to catch up first. *giggle*