Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sorted it Saturday and the Last of August Decluttering

I sorted August's bills and receipts.

Organizing Queen's and My Simpler Life's August Declutter Challenge has come to an end. My last three items for the 30 days was #29 - baby food jars and lids, # 30 plastic bags that we can now take back to the store for recycling and #31 a leather jacket that I forgot to take a picture of before gifting it away today.

What did I learn from this challenge? I suppose the main thing was that even though I know I have too much stuff, it was sometimes (OK maybe more than sometimes) hard to find things to get rid of. I really enjoyed going to all of the sites and seeing what they were getting rid of, though I seldom left a comment (I should improve on that!). It was encouraging to see that I'm not the only one on the decluttering journey.

Maybe I should break down each room and work on one area at a time instead of looking for things from all of the rooms? Maybe a mind map would help.

Now that I've been thinking about it I think that I would prefer to work a bit on each room instead of concentrating on one room at a time. What comes first to mind in each room:
Hall - boxes
Kitchen - cold cupboard
Living room - desk
Son's bedroom - long sleeve top shelf
My bedroom - desk or something else

Thank you Marcia and Beth for having this challenge. Who knows if the 31 plus objects would still be in my home if I hadn't found your challenge.

4 comments:

HDMac said...

It has been a great journey of declutter! Sounds like you are in for the weekly challenge also! Fantastic!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I also found it hard to get rid of some things (especially books) even though I have a ton of stuff. My daughter (24) was so sweet and told me to take my time with this. When I'm ready to let go, it will happen.

I wish I had the type of personality to declutter in one area. But I don't. It was helpful to read that someone else out there is like me. Thanks for sharing.

I like how you've picked something in each room to declutter. I bet I could do that as well and be successful, instead of being so random about it.

WTG on your month of decluttering.

Mrs. J said...

Thanks so much for your congrats! I plan on to continue to declutter while I getting ready for baby! Good job getting ridi of things.

Ruth said...

I really like your idea of doing one thing in each room. Maybe if I started small like that I might actually make a dent in all the clutter and saved junk in my apartment. I know that for me, making changes of any kind is hard. But with all the great tips and ideas I learned from the declutter challenge and from reading Jill Butler's Create the Space You Deserve, I have faith that I can do this! :)